Don’t let this penis shape vegetable fool you, Eggplant is seriously underrated. A lot of people who eat a plant-based diet, are all about Portobello mushrooms, for the similar texture to meat. I think Eggplant has that same texture, and usually, cheaper at the grocery store. This dish is a go-to for me. We have Protein with the cheese and low-fat. Trying to keep our arteries from clogging.
What I love about this meal, is it can feed a lot of people and you can have it by itself or with some pasta. Either way, you have, it will be delicious. To me, Eggplant Parm is a comfort food. It’s cheesy goodness, but healthy.
- 1 Eggplant
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Almond Milk
- 1 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Jar of Tomato & Basil Sauce
- ½ cup of Low-Moisture Part-Skim Shredded Mozzarella
- Rinse the Eggplant and cut it, starting from the base. We want them to be circular, so don’t have to fret about cutting. Just start slicing it from the end.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, then add the almond milk. Next, start to whisk the mixture.
- On a plate (I like to use a paper plate to avoid a mess) pour some breadcrumbs on the plate.
- Then take one eggplant at a time and dip it into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumbs and lightly coat it with breadcrumbs. You can sprinkle some on top then flip the eggplant over and coat the other side on the plate.
- Preheat over to 400F
- Once all the eggplant has been coated with the breadcrumbs, next is to fry them. Use a sauté pan and put in 1 tbsp. of olive oil. You can cook about 4 eggplants at a time. You want them to have some brown to them. Every round of eggplant you cook should have a tbsp. of oil. You might need less or more oil depending on how much eggplant you cut.
- Get 8×8 baking dish. Start to layer the eggplants, each layer needs tomato sauce on top and sprinkled cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool and serve.
This dish was a starting point for me to get my parent to eat a more plant-based diet. If you know your roommates or boyfriend, would not eat a quinoa bowl, try this. Eggplant has the same tough texture as meat, their taste buds and brain will be fooled.