This dish is a classic Italian recipe. Cavatelli is a type of eggless pasta, that is filled with Ricotta Cheese. The great thing about this pasta it is a great source of Protein. There are 14 grams of Protein in a single serving. I make mine a little different than my family. I try to keep the calories and time down. I use frozen broccoli and nutritional yeast, to make this easy and healthy. Using fresh vegetables is great, but frozen is perfectly fine. It’s easy for me to buy the frozen broccoli because it’s in bite-size pieces without using a knife. Nutritional yeast is great for a cheesy flavor and has B12. The thing about B12, is it’s usually found in animals. So, if you’re trying to follow a plant-based diet, don’t fret about missing out on this vitamin.
I love this dish, it’s light but filling. I also like the Cavatelli, it’s a nice change from regular pasta. The ricotta is not overpowering, like Tortellini is. What I really like about this dish, is how it’s not relying on a sauce. The real flavor comes from the broccoli and garlic. I love pasta, but sometimes I wish pasta had more pow to it. Cavatelli is pasta that doesn’t lack the pow!
- Frozen Broccoli Florets 1 lbs.
- Frozen Ricotta Cavatelli 15 oz.
- Olive oil 2 Tbsp.
- Garlic cloves 3
- Veggie Broth 3 cups
- Nutritional Yeast 1 Tbsp.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese ¼ cup
- Place a pot with water filled halfway to a boil. Then add the Cavatelli into the boiling water. Cook for 20 minutes.
- While the Cavatelli is cooking, get a sauté pan and put the Olive Oil. Let the oil heat up. Once heated crush the garlic or if you don’t have a garlic press, then mince the garlic and sauté it.
- After, the garlic has a hint of gold, then add in the broccoli. You want the Broccoli to be soft, don’t fret it doesn’t have to be completely done.
- Drain the Cavatelli and place it in the sauté pan with the broccoli.
- Add the veggie broth, Nutritional Yeast, and Parmesan in the pan as well. Stir everything together and cover on a low flame.
- After 20 mins serve with some black pepper and additional Parmesan cheese on top.
Whenever you want a meatless meal, but tired of simple pasta, give this recipe a try. The first time I cooked with Nutritional Yeast, I was hesitant. It was something new to me and I didn’t know exactly what it would do to my meals. I am so glad I experimented with it. I use it all the time. I like using it in this recipe because it helps to lower the use of dairy products. The pasta is stuffed with a heavy cheese and I didn’t want to use more Parmesan. I tried to balance out the flavor with nutritional yeast while keeping the dish low-cal. Instead of your typical spaghetti night, give Cavatelli a try.