Salad can taste good. James Beard once said, “too many simple green salads suffer from a lack of imagination.” I don’t know who James Beard, I just googled salads quotes and this one stood out to me. I see what James is saying; salads can lack some culinary creativity. Salad haters are right who wants to eat just lettuce. Don’t get me wrong lettuce is great, but it is 90% water, not much flavor. When you think healthy you think salads, but not yummy salads. Lately, thanks to Pinterest salads are chic and satisfying.
I love fruit and quinoa. I like spinach because it has lots of iron in it. This recipe takes a fruit salad mix in a superfood like quinoa and a dash of green with spinach. Salads don’t have to be all green; you can add some color and taste to it. In the summers it is so hot and gross out that a heavy meal will not be a good mix. This salad is a perfect light meal that is easy to make.
“too many simple green salads suffer from a lack of imagination.” -James Beard
- ½ cup strawberries
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1 cup mangoes
- 1 cup cantaloupe
- ¼ uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- ½ tsp. Lime juice
- 1 package of baby spinach (5 oz.)
- Place veggie broth in a pot and come to a boil and add the quinoa. Cook for 20 minutes and turn off the flame. Then place a lid on the quinoa and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking it is time to cut the fruit. The strawberries I cut into halves. I recommended getting the mango either pre-cut or buying a mango cutter. Its seed is huge and a bitch to cut. Save yourself the trouble.
- After, all the fruit is cut, rinse and place into a large bowl and add spinach.
- Once the quinoa is done, you can either wait for it to cool or do an ice bath (place pot into a bowl of ice water).
- Add quinoa into the bowl. Then add the lime juice and honey, then toss everything together.
- It is ready to serve!
You can cook the quinoa the night before to help save time. I also use regular quinoa, but there are different types out there that will be just as fine. Might have to add more honey, depending on taste. I would not add more lime juice because it will make it soggy and sour.
This is a healthy meal and can make a perfect lunch for the office. I hope you like it and don’t be afraid to try and add other fruit in it. Salads don’t have to be blah. My best friend just had a salad revelation. She had a really good salad and now enjoys eating salads. She is a Hot Cheetos loving gal and for her to tell me she is a salad fan it only takes one good salad to make you a believer.